What is a Customs Pass?
A Customs pass is a document or proof used to enter and work in the customs area. Customs pass is issued to customs brokers and people working on behalf of a customs broker in the customs area. Customs pass gives authority to the person to enter the customs area for the purpose of clearance of goods and do transactions required on behalf of importers and exporters or customs brokers.
Types of Customs Pass
There are 3 types of customs pass namely F card, G card, and H card. F cardholder is the customs broker. G cardholder and H cardholder is someone who works for customs broker or on behalf of importer or exporter.
How to apply for a customs pass?
To apply for a customs pass in India, you first have to select the type of customs pass you would like to apply for. For the F card you need to pass the CBLR Exam, For the G card you need to pass the G category exam, if failed in G card you will be given H card. For H card, you need to make an application to customs with documents required for the same.
What is F card?
- F Card holder is the person who has passed F card Exam referred in regulation 6 and has been issued a photo identity card in Form F as per Section 2(g) of Customs Brokers Licensing Regulations, 2018.
- F card exam is also commonly called as CBLR exam or Customs Broker exam or Rule 6 exam. You can know more about the CBLR Exam to obtain F Card to become a Customs Broker/ F card holder on eximpedia.com
What is G card?
- G card holder is the person who has passed the examination referred in regulation 13 and has been issued photo identity card in Form G as per Section 2(h) of Customs Brokers Licensing Regulations, 2018.
- Below in this article we have mentioned details of how to apply for the exam. Click on the table of contents to go directly to the content.
What is H card?
- H card holder is the person who has not passed the examination referred in regulation 13 and has been issued photo identity card in Form H as per Section 2(i) of Customs Brokers Licensing Regulations, 2018.
- You can also apply for fresh H card without giving the exam if you are eligible (10+2).
- Below in this article we have mentioned details of how to apply for H card. Click on the table of contents to go directly to the content.
What is the difference between F card G card and H card?
All three cards are different types of customs’ pass to work at customs stations. The main difference between F card, G card, and H card is as below –
|F Card||G Card||H Card|
|• F card is issued under regulation 6 of CBLR 2018.||• G card is issued under regulation 13 of CBLR 2018.||• If the person fails in the G category exam he is issued an H card.|
|• Person must appear for the CBLR exam to obtain this license.||• Person must appear for the G category exam to obtain a G card pass.||• Any person who wants to work in a customs station or on behalf of the customs broker he/she can apply for H card.|
|• Once a person obtains F-card he is called a customs broker.||• Although the person is granted authority to sign all documents but with the permission of a F-card holder.||• There is no exam to obtain H card.|
|• He is authorized to sign all the customs clearance documents and conduct the customs broker business.||• This person mostly works under F cardholder or on behalf of him at the customs station.||• Minimum qualification to obtain H-card is 10+2.|
|• He is allowed to work in all customs stations assigned to him as per his F card license.||• Minimum qualification should be 10+2 and should hold a H card to be eligible for the exam.||• A fresh application can be made for obtaining H card by filling Form H and submitting necessary documents in customs.|
|• Minimum qualification is graduation + master’s degree or any professional degree.|
Picture of new Customs Pass –
How to get Customs Pass?
To obtain a customs pass in India, you need to first know the type of customs pass you would like to get. There are 3 types of customs passes F card, G card, and H card. Each pass has different requirements and importance. To know the difference between the same, read the above article.
Power of F card, G card and H card holders.
- F CARD – If you are F card holder you are officially a customs broker and can transact your business in customs on behalf of importers and exports. You can also hire G card and H card holders to help transact your business and work in customs area assigned to you when you apply for license on clearing the exam. You also get entry in customs area just by showing your F Card.
- G CARD – If you are a G card holder, you can legally sign the documents required to be submitted in customs for clearance, you can also sign documents on behalf of a customs broker. If the power of attorney is given to you by the company the customs should be intimated about the same and they shall issue G/PA customs pass to you. You also get entry in customs area just by showing your G Card.
- H CARD– If you are an H card holder you are granted entry in customs area for clearance work. You can work with any customs broker/importer/exporter.
How to apply for F Card, G Card, H Card?
How to apply for F card?
We, Expedia have an entire detailed article on the application for the F-card exam. Click here to read it in detail – how to become customs broker.
How to apply for G card?
You first must be an employee/director/partner of a customs broker and must be a 10+2 education qualification.
G card exam too is held once a year.
You must be having questions like –
How to apply for the G card exam
Where to apply for the G card exam
Application form for G card exam
Syllabus for G card exam
The selection process for the G card exam
Eligibility for Card exam
Passing marks for the G card exam.
All the above questions are answered in this G CARD PUBLIC NOTICE pdf – Download Here.
Every year government issues public notice for G card exam a month or 2 before the exam. Above attached public notice is for G card exam 2021. No notice has been issued yet for G card exam 2022.
How to apply For H card?
To apply for a fresh H card, you will need to work under a customs broker first who will help you get the H card.
Click here >> List of Documents needed to be submitted for fresh H card application for renewal of H card.
Validity of customs pass
- F card is valid for lifetime and will be deactivated if no business is transacted for one full year means if the customs broker does not use his F card for one year at a go, it gets deactivated. Once deactivated customs broker has to go for renewal process or the F card license becomes invalid.
- G card is valid for 5 years from the date of issuance and G card with PA is valid till F card / customs broker license is valid.
- H card is valid for 5 years.
Renewal of F card G card and H card.
- Download here >> List of Documents to be submitted to customs house for renewal of customs pass.
- Customs pass should be applied for renewal at least 30 days before the expiry date.